Ask the Expert

Accessing forgotten passwords

I have a unit with Windows Professional 2000. In a teen group home, one of the clients set up a user name and password, which he claims to have forgotten. How do I gain access to this unit?
If you still have administrator access, you can simply go to Setting --> Control Panel --> Users and Passwords and reset this particular account's password. If you don't have administrator access, check out NTAccess for a solution to get back into the system.

Reader Feedback

Bill C. writes:
You didn't point the member with the question about the lost Windows 2000 Admin password to the free utility Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. It's quick, it's easy, it works, and IT'S FREE! I love it!

Related content on
  • Tip: How to crack a password
  • Expert Advice: Cracking passwords
  • Tip: Freeware to find expired AD accounts and passwords
  • Expert Advice: Bypassing the password dialog box of a previous user
  • This was first published in October 2005

    There are Comments. Add yours.

    TIP: Want to include a code block in your comment? Use <pre> or <code> tags around the desired text. Ex: <code>insert code</code>

    REGISTER or login:

    Forgot Password?
    By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
    Sort by: OldestNewest

    Forgot Password?

    No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an email containing your password.

    Your password has been sent to: