- IE 6 doesn't run in low privilege mode, so adware and spyware can infiltrate more easily.
- There is no phishing filter in IE6, nor are there any obvious warning signs when you're about to enter a phishing site.
- IE 6 doesn't have tabs out of the box. (Not security related, but it's certainly a convenience factor.)
Make sure you have an antivirus solution installed, watch out for sites that can give you spyware (a popup blocker...
is necessary here to prevent some automated installs) and check your zone settings to make sure the Internet isn't a trusted place. Or, better yet, install Firefox until you're ready to return to IE7.
Click here to read questions and answers from all of our Windows security experts.
- Internet Explorer 7: How it can make your life easier
Internet Explorer 7 is still in beta, but knowing and using the new security features in IE7 can make any security administrator's life easier. Contributor and Microsoft MVP Brien Posey highlights some of the features that should be ready for prime time soon and others that will surface when Vista does.
- The four layers of Internet Explorer security
Internet Explorer revolutionized the Internet browser in the '90s, but brought myriad security headaches with it into the 21st century. This article by site editor Benjamin Vigil takes a look at why Internet Explorer has become such a problem and how multiple approaches can secure the most ubiquitous browser on the Internet.
- Internet Explorer 7: Browsing and security enhancements
Microsoft released the beta version of Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) and hopes it will solve the security concerns of IE6 as well as add RSS functionality and anti-phishing protection. Contributor Tony Bradley discusses these latest security enhancements in this tip.
- Adjusting security settings in Internet Explorer 6.0
Windows security threats expert Kevin Beaver explains how to adjust security settings Internet Explorer 6.0.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.