|Creating the Secure Managed Desktop
By Jeremy Moskowitz
The following are excerpts from chapter three of Jeremy Moskowitz's book, "Creating the Secure Managed Desktop."...
Step 2 of 2:
Learn more about Group Policy and Jeremy's Group Policy hand-on workshops at www.GPanswers.com/workshop.
Now that the share is created, we're ready to create a new GPO to do the magic. Again, you'll want to do this on your Windows Vista management station, VISTAMANGEMENT. This machine should have Windows Vista + SP1 + the RSAT tools, which contain GPMC 2.0. For more information see the Introduction to this book for a lab setup guide.
To set up Redirected Folders for Documents/My Documents, follow these steps:
1. In the GPMC, right-click the OU on which you want to apply Folder Redirection (in my case, the LikeUsers OU), and choose "Create a GPO in this domain, and Link it here."
2. Name the GPO, say, "Documents Folder Redirection," as shown in Figure 3.4.
FIGURE 3.4 The LikeUsers OU has a GPO named "Documents Folder Redirection." After drilling down into the folder that you want to redirect, right-click and choose Properties.
3. Right-click the new GPO, and choose Edit from the shortcut menu to open the Group Policy Management Editor.
4. Drill down to Folder Redirection by choosing User Configuration _ Policies _ Windows Settings _ Folder Redirection. Right-click the Documents entry in the Group Policy Management Editor, and choose Properties to open the Documents Properties dialog box, as shown in Figure 3.5.
5. In the Setting drop-down list box, select "Basic -- Redirect everyone's folder to the same location."
Don't click OK (or Apply) yet. There's more to do. If you do click OK or Apply, you're going to get a warning.
Read other excerpts from Jeremy Moskowitz's book, Creating the Secure Managed Desktop.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft Windows Vista operating system