You can disable or enable Windows XP's Remote Desktop feature with a simple registry tweak. Use the registry to...
configure this setting by performing the following steps:
- Start the registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server.
- Double-click fDenyTSConnections.
- Change the value of this setting to 0 to enable Remote Desktop or 1 to disable it, and click OK.
- Close the registry editor, and reboot the computer for the change to take effect.
Rod Trent, manager of myITforum.com and a Microsoft MVP, is an expert on Microsoft Systems Management Server. He has more than 18 years of IT experience -- eight of which have been dedicated to SMS. He is the author of Microsoft SMS Installer, Admin911: SMS, and IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide and has written thousands of articles on technology topics.
This article first appeared in myITforum.com, the online destination for IT professionals who manage corporate Microsoft Windows systems. It is also part of the TechTarget network of industry-specific IT Web sites. The centerpiece of myITforum.com is a collection of member forums where IT professionals exchange technical tips, share their expertise and download utilities that help them better manage their Windows environments, specifically Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS).