This tip was submitted to the SearchWin2000.com Tip Exchange by member Srinivasa Rao. Let other users know how...
useful it is by rating the tip below.
Things may seem grim if if your login screen is stuck in a loop. That is to say that the login prompt keeps reappearing and you cannot log in to Windows 2000. Don't start thinking about rebuilding the machine -- dust off your old Windows 9x disk.
- Boot the computer from the Windows 2000 CD.
- Select the 'Repair' option.
- Select 'Recovery Console'.
- Log in as the administrator.
- From the Recovery Console, type: 'FIXMBR'.
- Remove the Windows 2000 CD from the CD drive and reboot the computer from a Windows 9x boot diskette.
- At the command line, run 'FDISK /MBR'.
- Remove the Windows 9x boot diskette and reboot the computer to Windows 2000.