Getting the blue screen error "inaccessible boot disk with error code" in Windows 2000 or Windows XP might be caused by hard disk errors resulting from cross-linked files or bad sectors. Here's how to fix this problem:
- Boot with bootable CD-ROM drive of the relevant operating system.
- Select the option Repair. Select Recovery Console Mode.
- Select the appropriate drive if you have multiple operating systems.
- In the command prompt window, type the command chkdsk drive: /F /R
This may take some time; how much dependds on the size and the level of corruption in the hard disk drive.
- After completion, type "exit" and remove the CD from the CD-ROM drive.
Please let us know how useful you find this tip by rating it below! If you have a useful Windows tip, timesaver or workaround to share, submit it to our tip contest and you could win a prize!
Dig Deeper on Microsoft Windows XP Pro