Getting the blue screen error "inaccessible boot disk with error code" in Windows 2000 or Windows XP might be caused by hard disk errors resulting from cross-linked files or bad sectors. Here's how to fix this problem:
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
- Boot with bootable CD-ROM drive of the relevant operating system.
- Select the option Repair. Select Recovery Console Mode.
- Select the appropriate drive if you have multiple operating systems.
- In the command prompt window, type the command chkdsk drive: /F /R
This may take some time; how much dependds on the size and the level of corruption in the hard disk drive.
- After completion, type "exit" and remove the CD from the CD-ROM drive.
Please let us know how useful you find this tip by rating it below! If you have a useful Windows tip, timesaver or workaround to share, submit it to our tip contest and you could win a prize!