News Stay informed about the latest enterprise technology news and product updates.

Interesting Java Issue Pops Up

If you read this blog, you know I not only think highly of the various Secunia software monitoring products available — I use Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) for my personal machines, and recommend the Secunia Corporate Software Inspector (CSI) for workplace use — I also use and work with them at least weekly. That’s how often I auto-scan my HP server, and the four desktops and four notebook PCs I have at my disposal right now.

This morning, when I ran my weekly scan, Secunia informed me that the Java Runtime Environment 6.15… was now out of date, so I went off to download the latest version. Out of habit I used Revo Uninstaller to remove the JRE from my machines knowing that manual uninstall is required to get old versions of Java out of the way so that new ones can be installed in a pristine setting. Out of habit I reached for my favorite uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller. It worked fine on my 32-bit Windows 7 systems, but I hit a snag on my 64-bit systems (Revo Uninstaller does not provide access to the 64-bit JRE, though it is happy to work with the 32-bit version on either 64- or 32-bit systems).

I did a hurry-up manual uninstall (removed the Java direcotory in the Program Files directory, and a quick purge of Java related Registry settings). But when I downloaded and installed a new 6.20… JRE, though the 32-bit version installed without a hitch, the 64-bit version threw error 1327 “Unable to find a necessary DLL.” After trying a restore point and researching various possible fixes on the Internet (of which there are plenty, but alas none of which worked for me), I took advantage of my nightly backup to restore the Java directory I’d trashed as part of my hurry-up manual uninstall manuevers, then tried to install the new 64-bit JRE 6.20… This time, I was successful, to my great relief.

It reminds me that you have to make sure your tools are 64-bit savvy when working on 64-bit systems. As a little additional investigation showed me quickly and directly, had I simply chosen to use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel to extirpate the original 6.15… JRE, I would have been able to install the 6.20… version without difficulty. That’s why it’s always important to remember what you’re doing, and what tools you’re working with when adding or removing software from a Windows machine. Hopefully, you can learn from this (minor) foul-up on my part!

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

Please create a username to comment.